Did You Know
1. Over 6 million people, in the UK are carers – that’s around one in eight adults. (Census 2001)
2. Carers save the economy £87 billion per year, an average of £15,000 per carer (Research by Leeds University 2007)
3. Nearly three million people juggle care with work (Census 2001)
4. 66% of carers are of working age (Census 2001)
5. The main carer’s benefit is £53.10 for a minimum of 35 hours, equivalent to £1.51 per hour.
6. People providing high levels of care are twice as likely to be permanently sick or disabled.
7. Over 1 million people care for more than one person.
8. 1.9 million care for more than 20 hours a week.
9. 3 in 5 people will at some point in their lives become a carer.
10. There are currently 175,000 young carers (under 18).
11. For almost 40 years Crossroads Care has been here to offer support to carers and provide personal care services to the people they look after.